Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My apologies

Pedantic - adjective - Marked by a narrow focus on or display of learning especially its trivial aspects.

I don't post much, and I'm here mostly talking to myself, which is probably more self-absorbed than making this public and making it a node in a larger network of 'friends' or 'contacts.' Alas, as long as Internet is mediated through a television+keyboard interface, we will probably continue perpetuating the interactive television aspect well into its future.

Long live the mobile app.?

I was reading about web 2.0 and grew very bored and lost interest. Technology Review devoted a whole issue to the topic, its commercial viability, the interest and investment bubble propelling it, its pundits, its innovators. A man made a joke about computers once. He was the spouse of a co-worker at my first 'real' job.

"These computer things are just a fad. They'll die off, just like the hula-hoop."

It was a rather entertaining idea, especially considering how wired we are, how ensconced in the computing and networking apparatus that swept the globe in full force with the release of Windows 95.

I was then running a computer from a DOS prompt. Windows was a novelty that my computer lacked the resources to run. My, how things have changed.

I digress.

I apologize for waxing pedantically about things. I re-read my few posts because I'm the only one reading them. And as I come to realize that I'm writing for an audience of none, I'm apologizing to no one for my discombobulated sentences weighed down by an oft-awkward use of terminology.

I want to be a plain-speaking person. I desire to reach others, turn received views on their side, and generally maintain a meta-position above a mix of cultural forms, phrases, fads et cetera (or as you crazy kids call it, 'ect').

Alas, I'm not immune to the fads, and shunning too many of the cultural forms has the sum of effect of making one a little bit crazy. Then again, when I first saw a person talking on a hand's free it resembled the people who talked to themselves before cellular phones. We labeled them loonies, perhaps for good reason.

Let's continue speaking into the air.

Air? Are you there?

No comments:

Post a Comment