Thursday, May 14, 2020

A Cronenberg Dream: 05/14/2020

The dream starts out in a school. The school is reminiscent of a religious school in my old hometown. The place is empty, dark. It could be after hours but I don't remember. I don't recall, but something seems to have occurred, something that makes me want to leave the place and go looking for something from my past.

I drive out on some back roads, and out, in a very tree-lined area I return to someone's home. And the neighbor is crying about 'Corewood.' I look down and I see a bone-shaped plate with the name 'Corewood' written on it on a back porch of a house that is also clearly abandoned. The neighbor, a woman next door is weeping and reminiscing about the dog, named 'Corewood.' I don't recall if this is in reference to an immediate past or something months, years, decades ago. The plate shows wear. I get in my car and drive on.

I drive down the road and the landscape has changed. People are missing. The rituals have changed. I feel beset by a change that I cannot control, a change that has taken all the people I know and all the familiar landmarks in a day from me. Whole towns are missing. Nothing looks familiar. I know that I am driving along familiar roads, except the buildings are completely gone. In their place are fields upon fields, some of which are growing these large plants reminiscent of little shop of horrors, their blooms, reaching out Aubrey-like into the sky. On one side of the road is what resembles ocean. Only it's not ocean. It shimmers an odd blue, and one can make out definition in the undulations that maybe it's a kind of plant, like countless heavy blades of grass of an odd color and rough shape with a shimmery, shiny element to this among it. I drive on.

I drive up a road that dead-ends at a building that is also abandoned. Everywhere I drive is abandoned. Next, I am in a movie theater, and this place is anything but abandoned. It's packed nearly to capacity. The movie is on, but enough light persists out the back of the theater that I can see where I am and that nearly every seat is filled. I am at the back right of the theater with regard to its screen. I overhear some talk about someone coming to bring something. I move from my seat near the back of an otherwise packed movie theater. I am surrounded by kids no more than 12, no less than 10-years old. A blonde kid with shoulder-length straight hair asks if he can sit next to me. I say, 'ok.' He hands me a small pistol and asks me, 'Do you want this?' I say 'Ok.' He continues that 'I don't know, they tell me to carry this.' I am unsure who they is or if he's even on my side. I check the gun's safety switch as the boy indicates that guns are dangerous. I stick this small gun in the back right pocket of my pants.

I get up and squat behind the rear seats in a void with my back against the theater wall. Two people, a man and woman, are standing near the entrance talking. A man comes up the aisle, older, long brown hair, reminding me of a table-top gamer. He's wearing a duster. He goes to take a seat, then he gets up and proceeds to the back where I am and sets down a small, flat triangular box with rounded corners. He asks, 'Is this pointing at you, Jason?' I tell him that it is. Then he proceeds to sit down where I had been sitting. I get up and duck around the corner of the entrance to the theater and watch as the box begins to project a barely visible light against the wall at about the height where my face was as I squatted back there. Suddenly, a long, pale, intestine-like worm begins to emerge from the box. I shoot frantically at the box, but none of my shots hit the worm-snake-intestine creature. It slithers through the wall at the side of the theater into an adjacent, also-filled theater. I run after it, and being screaming 'worm!' 'worm!' then change my plea to 'snake!' 'snake!' and I run to the front of the theater and see the creature moving along the front wall. I aim my gun to shoot the creature but it's now empty. The creature slithers away through the next wall.

I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment