Thursday, January 14, 2016

"on what do we stand?"

Dietrich Bonhoeffer asked this question in a letter to confidants on the eve of their assassination attempt on Adolf Hitler.

I ask this question because I have an answer fitting to my situation--rock bottom. I stand on rock bottom.

Sometimes the filth and the futility of my life come to the fore, and I see that I am a scared and weak and alone person for most of my day. And I have been that way for most of my life.

On what do we stand? For any of us I suspect it is a mix of hopes, aspirations, everyday routines, and a sense of self that at least offers the bloke some for steering his life. Some put a foot on a drug regimen, prescription, illegal, or a combined. I sometimes feel like I'm at the bottom of a well that has long since dried up, and the only thing to offer me companionship are the mummified remains of bats. Their leathery wings dry and curl into a macabre hand wave.

"Hi Jason." They say, calling me to them, making me one of their familiars, offering me a silent communion.

No comments:

Post a Comment