Monday, April 5, 2010

the new yahoo

I enabled the new yahoo mail system and it has a new and improved spam blocker as well as more features to make social networking easy.

The problem I've found is that the spam blocker tends to block the e-mails I send to myself in order to save a URL or a print-friendly news article. I have to prove my humanness by recognizing and typing out some warped words, and I almost always mess them up. Then after several attempts, I become blocked by this spam system from sending any e-mails to the target address, i.e., myself--the same e-mail address I'm using to send the mail. It's a strange situation to be in as the spam blocker challenges your authenticity and increasingly makes a once convenient ability to e-mail oneself into an incorrigible series of hoops to prove the authenticity of my mail.

The second problem I've found is that the social networking functions, which are now a tab aside my compose e-mail tab, is populated by one type of message: 'female name + series of numbers' wants to add you to her contacts. I always decline these requests because I know they become ways for the social networking service to spam me with a web address to some cam site or some other I-ntimacy service.

So here I am staring at two functions to make my personal web page more approachable and more social being co-opted to alienate me from my normal uses of my web page and to offer a flattering front door to intimacy spam.

I truly doubt that I'll find sexy singles in my area as the same pictures are used to represent some of the sexy singles while the IP address of my connection changes the cities in which these singles are located. I find the whole notion of reducing the need for sex into an automated search application a rather strange way of grafting search onto sexuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment